If you look after a relative or friend aged over 18 and don’t get paid for it then you are entitled to have a detailed assessment of your needs as a carer.
A carers assessment will help to identify the help and support you need as a carer and the things that could make your caring role easier for you. It can provide access to support such as:
- information about carer support groups
- information and help to access to any training courses available to you (for example, moving and handling)
- information on how your GP can support you
- advice about how to get a balance between caring and your own life
- services to enable you to have a break from your caring role
- help to make a plan in case of an emergency or crisis
- advice on how to access service such as housing, employment support and education
- information about the condition or illness of the person you care for and signposting to support services.
All adult carers with a need for support are entitled to an assessment, regardless of the amount or type of support provided. Whether you are entitled to funded services, for instance to fund a break from your caring role will depend on your eligibility.
How to get a carers assessment
The assessment will usually be carried out by a worker from Derbyshire Carers Association but, in some circumstances, it may be a worker from Derbyshire County Council. The worker will arrange to meet with you to talk about your role as a carer and the ways in which it affects your day to day life.
You may be entitled to services which could help you manage your caring role.
You can request a carers assessment by:
- Contacting Derbyshire Carers on tel: 01773 833833 to request an assessment
- Completing the Carers Emergency Card form online - you can arrange emergency plans at the same time as you request an assessment. Just tick the box to request an assessment and someone will get in touch.
If the person you care for already has an Adult Care worker, you can ask the worker to refer you for a carers assessment. If you don't have the worker's number you can contact Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190.
If you are enquiring on behalf of someone else, please obtain the carer's consent beforehand.
Making the most of a carers assessment
This is your opportunity to help the worker understand the effect caring has on you. It may be a good idea to make a list, or keep a diary, of everything you do to assist the person you support.
Some things you may want to think about:
- Do you get enough sleep?
- Is your health affected by caring?
- Can you leave the person you are looking after?
- Are you worried about having to give up work or are you missing being in work?
- Do you get enough time to yourself?
- Are you worried about other commitments which are being affected by your caring role?
- Are you willing and able to provide care now and in the future?
- Does caring cause you relationship problems or financial hardship?
- What would happen if you got ill?
- What practical and emotional support do you think would help you?
The assessment can be carried out at your home, at the home of the person you support or somewhere else mutually convenient for you and the person conducting the assessment. If there is more than one carer providing care in your household, you are both entitled to an assessment.
Remember that this assessment is about your needs as a carer and is all about supporting you. You should be able to talk about the needs of the person you are caring for in their own needs assessment. The assessment is not about judging your capability as a carer, the aim is to help support you in your role.
If your situation changes, for example, you need more support, you can ask for your situation to be reviewed.
Other helpful websites
Autumn Training Programme…
Over the next few months Derbyshire Carers Association are running a series of First Aid and Maual Handling 1 day traning…
10 Oct 18
Freedom Community Project…
Join the Freedom Community Project for a cuppa, chat and advice. Every Wednesday 9am-1pm at Zion Methodist Church, South…
South Normanton - Zion…