Benefits for Parent Carers

Here are the main benefits you can claim if you're a parent carer of a disabled child.

Disability Living Allowance

If you have a child aged under 16 who has needs for help with personal care and/or mobility, you can still claim Disability living Allowance (DLA) for them.

DLA may be claimed on behalf of a disabled child who has greater or different care needs to child of the same age without a disability and /or cannot walk or has difficulty walking. 

DLA has two components. Your child may qualify for either or both.

Care component rates:

  • low rate is £22.65
  • middle rate is £57.30
  • high rate  is £85.60

Mobility component rates:

  • lower rate is £22.65
  • higher rate is £59.75

The website has further information about DLA and what level of care and mobility needs fall into each rate

If you have a child who will soon be 16, you will be asked to change their claim from DLA to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which is replacing DLA. You can find out more or make a claim on the website

Motability, home adaptations and other help

If you have a disabled child you may be able to get help and support including home aids and adaptations, short breaks, play schemes, childcare and support for children with special educational needs. Derbyshire County Council's Children's Services will be able to help support you and your child. tel: 01629 533190

If your child is over 3 and gets the higher rate of the DLA mobility component, you may be able to lease a car on the Motability Scheme.   

Carers Allowance

Carers Allowance is paid to someone who looks after a child for whom the middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance is paid.

Carers Allowance is £64.60 per week. It can be claimed by carers who spend at least 35 hours a week looking after the child.

People who work can claim as long as their net earnings (after tax and National Insurance) are no more than £120 a week.

If the child you care for is in hospital

If the child you care for is in hospital and under the age of 18, their DLA or PIP can continue to be paid for the whole time they are in hospital. This means you continue to be entitled to Carers Allowance.

Once the child is 18, they are only entitled to DLA or PIP for the first 28 days they are in hospital. This means your eligibility for Carers Allowance also stops. You can get the payments re-started when the child is discharged.

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is £20.70 per week for the eldest child and £13.70 a week for each other child. Entitlement continues up until the child's 16th birthday, and up to 20 if they remain in education or are on certain training courses. If you or your partner earn over £50,000 per annum then you may have to pay a higher income tax charge if you wish to claim Child Benefit. 

Child Tax Credit

The amount of Child Tax Credit paid depends on your financial circumstances and the size of your family.

You will get the maximum Child Tax Credit if you receive Income Support, Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit.

Tax credits are being replaced by Universal Credit and depending on where you live you may have to claim UC instead. Find out more on the website. If you do need to make a claim for UC, check out the Derbyshire County Council website for details of local support and advice. 

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit is usually paid to people on low income, who are working at least 16 hours a week - though some people may not qualify unless they work at least 24 hours or 30 hours a week.

The amount you receive depends on your income and family circumstances. It may be payable even if you are not responsible for a child.

If you have childcare costs, Working Tax Credit can include an amount to help with these.

Tax credits are being replaced by Universal Credit and depending on where you live you may have to claim UC instead. Find out more on the website. If you do need to make a claim for UC, check out the Derbyshire County Council website for details of local support and advice. 

Pregnancy and welfare benefits

The Derbyshire County Council Welfare Rights Service have produced a brief information factsheet about benefits you can claim during pregnancy and after the birth of your child.

Welfare Rights Service

The Derbyshire Welfare Rights Service can help check you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to. They may also be able to support you with any appeals against decisions. Contact the Team on tel: 01629 531535, between 11am and 4.30pm, Mon, Tue, Thur and Fri or email:

This information was last updated on 27/10/2018

Search the Carers Directory

Look for services and groups in Derbyshire to help support you in your caring role

Latest News
Carers Book Project

Carers Book Project

Derbyshire Carers Association would like carers and their family members and friends to get creative and write!  They…

15 Mar 19