Universal Credit - Information, Advice and Support

Universal Credit - Information, Advice and Support

The Universal Credit full service has been live Long Eaton and Ilkeston for a while. More recently Universal Credit went live at Chesterfield Job Centre, Alfreton, Clay Cross and Belper.  In the autumn it will go live in Matlock, Glossop, Bolsover, Shirebrook and Swadlincote.

Derbyshire County Council have recently published a new section on their website where you can find out more about Universal Credit. This inclues up-to-date information about all the aspects of universal credit such as making a claim, what to do if you have no money while waiting to be paid and how Universal Credit works if you are ill or disabled.

Universal Credit claims have to be made an managed online (apart from in very specific circumstances). However there is support available to help people access the internet and manage / make a claim.

Practical Help

Derbyshire Libraries: You can get practical help with claiming Universal Credit from Derbyshire Libraries. You will need to book a slot to use a library computer. You can choose just to use the computer and internet (for free) by yourself or, if you need someone to help you, you can book a 1:1 appoinrtment with a  library worker who will help you to make and/or manage a Universal Credit claim.

Chesterfield Borough Council are also supporting people and have computer access and advice available. Contact them on tel: 01246 345345. Other borough and district councils may offer similar support - give them a ring and ask for local information. The contact details of all local councils are listed on the Derbyshire County Council website. 

More services offering support with Universal Credit and other issues claimants may face and can be found on the Council website.

General Advice

You can get general help and advive from Citizen's Advice clinics. They offer clinics in many GP surgeries throughout Derbyshire and also have lots of information on their national website about Universal Credit.

The Money Advice Service has well written, useful advice on Universal Credit including help with budgetting, opening a bank account and checking you have all the ID you need.

You can also ring the Welfare Rights Helpline on tel: 01629 531535 between 11am and 4.30pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

July 04 2018

Search the Carers Directory

Look for services and groups in Derbyshire to help support you in your caring role